Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
IB Learner Profile
Reading & Language Arts
Resources & FCAT Practice
SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT
Summer Reading & Supplies
Bridge to Terabithia
City of Ember
A Wrinkle In Time
Among The Hidden
Add "All Pages"
Among The Hidden
AMONG THE HIDDEN
How Would You Feel If There Was A Law Agains You Living?
About the author Margaret Peterson Haddix
• BIRTHDATE: April 9, 1964
• BIRTHPLACE: Washington Court House, Ohio
• WHERE I GREW UP: a farm near Washington Court House, Ohio
(If you want to sound like you know what you’re talking about, you can say it was a grain and livestock farm. Or, if you’re trying to stretch your report because you’re afraid it’s not going to be long enough, you can say something like, “a farm where her father raised corn, soybeans, wheat, hogs and cattle.” There. Lots of words. Does that help?)
• FATHER’S OCCUPATION: farmer
(you probably figured that one out)
• MOTHER’S OCCUPATION: nurse
• SIBLINGS: I have three—an older brother, a younger brother and a younger sister
• WHERE I WENT TO COLLEGE: Miami University, the one in Ohio, not Florida like you might expect
• WHAT I STUDIED: I got bachelor’s degrees in English/journalism, English/creative writing, and history. (See, more lengthy details to add!)
• JOBS I HELD BEFORE MY FIRST BOOK WAS PUBLISHED: I was a copy editor at a newspaper called The Journal-Gazette, in Fort Wayne, Indiana; a reporter at a newspaper called The Indianapolis News, in Indianapolis; and a freelance writer and community college instructor at the Danville Area Community College in Danville, Illinois.
• PLACES I’VE LIVED AS AN ADULT: Fort Wayne, Indianapolis and Martinsville, all in Indiana; Bismarck, Illinois; Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania; Columbus, Ohio. I also lived and studied in Luxembourg (that’s in Europe) for a semester when I was in college.
• WHERE I LIVE NOW: Columbus, Ohio
• MARRIED: Yes
• HUSBAND’S NAME: Doug
• HUSBAND’S OCCUPATION: college administrator and director of a journalism training program for professional journalists
• CHILDREN: Yes. I have two
• CHILDREN’S NAMES: Meredith and Connor
• HOBBIES: reading, travel, swimming, bicycling, hiking, going to museums, hanging out with family and friends
• FIRST BOOK PUBLISHED: Running Out of Time
• DATE OF FIRST BOOK PUBLICATION: 1995
• NUMBER OF BOOKS WRITTEN: “More than thirty” is the safest answer. Revealed, which comes out in the fall of 2014, is my thirty-fourth. But at any given moment, I always have at least one or two books that are in various states of completion or revision/readiness for publication.
• WHY I WRITE (short answer): I love books!
• WHY I WRITE (longer answer): I love making up stories and playing around with words and imagining interesting
people in interesting situations.
• ADVICE I GIVE KIDS: Read a lot. Write a lot. Think a lot. Enjoy what you read, write and think about.
And, not to sound too much like a mom, but, really, next time start on your report before the night before, okay?
Want to Know More About Population Control and the Author's View
click here to find out
Stay tuned for more information on this page...
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"